Home > The Other Side Pest Control Blog, Lakeland, FL > Kids Who Have Been Stung By Fire Ants Must Tell an Adult Immediately!

fire antsParents, please tell your children that if they ever think they have been stung by a fire ant to tell you or another adult immediately. The venom can cause the affected area to swell up a lot, and a doctor may want to see it to ensure that the child is not having an allergic reaction. Of course, this applies to anyone – adults included – who get stung.

Symptoms of allergic reactions from fire ants include red patches on the skin that itch and sting (hives), dizziness, nausea, difficulty breathing or a tight feeling in the throat. If these symptoms occur, medical attention is needed right away.

After being stung by fire ants, do the following immediately:

  • Wash the affected area with soap and water
  • Apply ice
  • If there is itching, swelling or redness, go to a doctor or the ER

Your doctor may prescribe a medication known as an antihistamine to control itching and swelling. If the allergic reaction is more severe, he or she may administer an injection to fight the reaction. If you know you are allergic to stings from fire ants, it’s wise to carry emergency medication that you can take to prevent a serious reaction from occurring.

At The Other Side Lawn & Ornamental Pest Control Inc., we know everything about lawn care & pest control in the Lakeland, FL area. We’ll keep your garden healthy and your home pest-free. We also offer ‘Tubes in the Wall’ – a great way to get rid of those unwelcome insects that hang out in your walls. For more info about our services, please contact us.