With the high humidity, rainfall, and potential for overwatering that we can experience here in Florida, it isn’t uncommon to find yourself needing to deal with lawn fungus, particularly if you haven’t been taking steps to prevent it. Here at The Other Side Lawn & Ornamental Pest Control Inc., we can help you resolve lawn fungus, but we also want to help you prevent it. Here are some tips for keeping your lawn healthy to stave off lawn fungus.
- Fertilize Properly- The best defense against lawn fungus is healthy grass. Underfertilizing leaves your grass unable to fight disease. Overfertilizing can also be a contributor, so check with a professional for the right way to fertilize.
- Use Proper Mowing Techniques- Understand the right way to mow the type of grass you have. Be sure to collect and dispose of the clippings if there is a chance you have lawn fungus so you don’t spread it around. Never cut the grass too low.
- Proper Irrigation- You want to water your lawn so it doesn’t dry out, but it is better to water deeply rather than frequently to encourage deep roots and healthy grass. Try to reduce how long the grass stays wet by watering early in the day, so the rising sun can dry off any water that wasn’t absorbed. Don’t use automatic watering that doesn’t cut off if it has rained.
- Lawn Aeration- You can avoid lawn fungus and other diseases by letting air, moisture, and sun properly reach your grass and the soil below. This avoids standing water that can promote lawn fungus.
- Apply Preventative Fungicide- While you don’t have to do this regularly, if you have had lawn fungus in the past, it can be helpful to utilize a broad-spectrum disease protocol to reduce the chance of it returning. You will want to take care not to overdo it, however, as lawn fungus can develop a resistance if you apply fungicide too often.
- Use Soil Amendments- Check the soil pH with regular soil testing and add any soil amendments that are needed to keep your lawn healthy.
- Use Quality Grass Seed- You don’t want to skimp when it comes to choosing the grass for your yard. Take the time to learn which grass is recommended and suitable for your yard’s sun exposure and opt for a quality product that doesn’t leave you fighting unhealthy grass from the very beginning.
- Call a Professional- If you suspect lawn fungus, don’t ignore it! The sooner you get it treated, the less likely it is that it will spread across your lawn, destroying the lush, green grass you’ve worked so hard to create. We’ll quickly diagnose the type of lawn fungus you have and begin the proper course of action to get your lawn back on track.